Here is your weekly edition of Three Thought Thursday – three things I have discovered and/or used this week I thought would be useful to you. Also, this week is a fourth thing with a recommendation from the audience!
1. Turn the Dial to Blue – Ice Cold Showers
I’ve long read about the benefits of taking cold showers but just recently tested it. It is painful, exhilarating and awesome – what a way to jumpstart your day!
Some of the benefits include:
- Increased alertness
- Increased circulation
- Faster recovery after exercise
- Strengthened immunity
- The biggest benefit in my opinion is overcoming the discomfort through willpower and mental toughness and getting comfortable being uncomfortable. This carries over to, and can improve, many other aspects of your life.
Here is a pretty good TEDx talk discussing the benefits.
2. Mortgage Rates Continue to Drop
- If you are over 4% on a 30 year loan or over 3.25% on a 15 year loan, you may want to refinance. Rates are incredibly low on a historical basis (could they go lower? Sure. Could they go higher? Sure.)
Here are two good resources for determining if refinancing is right for you
3. The Power of Habit – Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business
This book discusses understanding habits, why habits exist and how to change them. Powerful stuff.
Bonus Material – (recommendation from J.C. Weigelt)
4. SOMM – a 2013 American documentary following the attempts of four candidates to pass the extremely difficult Master Sommelier examination, a test with one of the lowest pass rates in the world.
Considering my ability to identify wines is limited to determining if it is red or white, I am by no means a wine connoisseur. However, this documentary looks very good and based on J.C’s recommendation, I’m giving it a go.
Here is a trailer of the documentary
If you have any recommendations for upcoming TTT, pass them along to me. I’m always interested to see new stuff and want to share with others anything you find interesting and worthwhile.